Amusement at the saloon


It's been quite a while since I blogged and my visit to the barber's this morning gave me the next topic.

I was fourth in queue and trust me, waiting for a haircut is one of the most painful things in life. And Mr. Murphy comes in as promptly as ever, with everyone ahead in queue demanding both a haircut and a shave. Exactly on this day, the second barber doesn't turn up. Drat! What rotten luck!

An effective way to kill time at the barber's is to sift through the pages of the boring local magazines filled with cine masala, linking everybody to anybody, punctuated by a few pages of pictures of gods and godmen, as if they are seeking an apology to all the glorious fibbing on the remaining sheets. The other source of pastime is the highly vociferous transistor, tuned to some FM channel. The latter is even more amusing. Between 6:30 and 7:00 a.m, the songs that are played should bring the heavens right before the listener. And immediately after that, only songs relevant to the god of love are played. The listener, thereby travels through ages while switching over from K.P Sundarambal and The Sulamangalam Sisters to Janaki, Leela, Susheela and L R Easwari to Hariharan and SPB and further down to Karthik, Srinivas and co.

But the most amusing of all sources of entertainment there are the customers themselves. Everyone tries to tell the barber how his head should be brought to shape and the barber agrees nonchalantly. All the latter does is a routine cutting on everyone's outgrowth, but finally, the customer has to leave with whatever mercy the barber shows on him. Some customers who are in the queue cannot resist themselves from looking into the generously wide mirror from different angles with all possible expressions on their faces. They probably are making desperate attempts to admire their own features, but unfortunately, the mirror always seems to speak the truth. Most interesting of them all was a boy around thirteen, who would pull a few twisted tufts of hair on to his forehead and blow them back into position and resembling an australopithecus in the process.

So, I have killed enough time and it's my turn now. Hooray! But the barber dreads my occupying the seat. I am pretty regular there and the barber is aware of my habit of falling asleep after surrendering my head to him. I love the look on the barber's face. Good luck buddy! Thanks to you, I shall be losing some headweight. :-)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

No comments

Shelley said 'Spring' but I say 'Summer'

Blushhhhhhhh