Torino - First impressions

It's been little more than a week since I landed here at Torino. I am with another Anand, in the same apartment, but adjacent houses. We cook together (actually, he cooks!). The apartment is well furnished. The funniest thing I have found here in Italy is the second commode for defecation. I really don't know why it's there. But then, thats the way it is.
The city is pretty. It is well connected by public transport. The METRO is just amazing. The best part is that a view from anywhere to the west offers pleasantries to the eye. The beautiful Alps! They stand tall and sturdy, with their snow-capped summits. A lovely sight, I must say.
We had been to the city palace (palazzo) last weekend. Again, beautiful architecture. Sculptures are intricately detailed and the paintings make one speechless. Credit should be given to the efforts being put in to preserve them. Sunday was spent at a park called 'Valentino', on the banks of the river 'Po'. I believe 'Po' should be extended to 'Polluted'. The government has banned fishing there as the water is extremely poisonous. People who go for boat rides are well protected by suitable gear before they venture into such escapades. The park was exquisite too.
Well, there is nothing negative that can be said about the place, if one eliminates personal bias. The vegetarian in me wants to run away from the place only to avoid the sight of the loads of beef hung in every alternate shop. The Indian in me wants to join other Indians to celebrate Dussehra and Diwali. The cousin in me wants to join the cousins in Bangalore tying the wedlock in October. The homesickness never ends.
Italy is liked.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

No comments

Shelley said 'Spring' but I say 'Summer'

Blushhhhhhhh