My first fifty

The even semester here sees little cricketing action at the institute level, but for a few inter-collegiate tournaments. One such is the prestigious IIT - Sanmar trophy involving various colleges from the city known for their cricket teams and IIT Madras as the host, besides being a participant. This year, the enthusiasm for even semester cricket was sporadically greater and the first match against D G Vaishnav college was a glorious re-incarnation of the India-Bermuda match of the nationally infamous World Cup 2007, with IITM playing India. The hosts put up a thundering 251 off 30 overs with three batsmen scoring express half-centuries. I was one of them. Otherwise, why would I write this? ;-P
Our opener, Amit, gave us a good start as he managed 54 quick runs. It was the flamboyant Ayush next, who got out after a lovely little cameo. And then it was our captain Dharik and myself for the rest of the time. We settled faster than usual and put on a century partnership in no time. I would particularly mention Dharik's great success in making me run hard. I had to sprint between wickets as if I had a chilli up my hindquarters. My luck with attempts at clearing the ropes remained rotten as the only shot that actually went flying past the ropes according to me was declared four by the umpire.
The job was done and the performance had exceeded expectations. Next was the most demanding task - keeping wickets after having run like that. A mega wide by Teju, our strike bowler, sent me diving to save it and I cramped up in the process. Limping for the rest of the time, I managed to keep decently and the match was over. It was a feeling of great complacence after the match, but all that was short lived.
A little thought at the opposition's bowling attack (attack!! my foot) put me back on the ground. I had scored against a team that could not bowl well. What was the achievement in that? Had I not ridiculed the Indian team after their victory against Bermuda at the WC? I still remember laughing at their ability to demolish only bowlers from great cricketing nations like Bermuda, Holland, Canada and the like.
Now how different was I? Whenever things get personal on such issues, they are achievements. Aren't they? The bloody ego....

Comments

Dharik said…
a fifty is a fifty mate!
no matter who the team :)

Popular posts from this blog

No comments

Shelley said 'Spring' but I say 'Summer'

Blushhhhhhhh